Taggart wrote:Hearing that you can pay of your other credit cards with a Canadian Tire CC and get cash back of 1%. I wonder how long that will last.
Total arbitrage opportunity and it wont last long at all. Here's why:
1) transfer cash to savings account X with a Visa check (which is a cash advance)
2) immediately cover cash advance to Visa account with CTC MC account via bill payment and rack up rewards on CTC MC
3) pay CTC MC with bill payment from account X
4) repeat as soon as both bill payment transactions settle
If you have 10k of limit room on both a CTC MC and another Visa you could rake off $100 every few days. Even Canadian Tire is not that stupid. And this doesn't even get into stuff like paying off multiple family members CTC MC in a chain:
1) Cash advance trick on Junior's Visa to account X
2) Dad pays Junior's CTC MC with bill payment from his CTC MC
2) Mom pays Dad's CTC MC with bill payment from her CTC MC
3) Junior pays Mom's CTC MC with bill payment from his CTC MC
4) pay CTC MC with bill payment from Junior's Visa
5) settle Visa with cash from account X
To suppose that safety-first consists in having a small gamble in a large number of different [companies] where I have no information to reach a good judgment, as compared with a substantial stake in a company where one’s information is adequate, strikes me as a travesty of investment policy.
-- JM Keynes